About Families West
Our ethos is written into our name. . .
At Families West, we firmly believe that the best place for a child is at home with their natural family. . . so long as it is safe, and in the child's best interests of course.
Founded by two highly experienced social workers, Families West is a creative, responsive and dynamic independent social work company based in Pembrokeshire, offering a range of independent social work services to families and children across South and West Wales.
With a child centric approach that allows for individualistic and independent assessment, without undue pressure or drive from external factors, Families West aim to work with children, for children. . . ensuring that the child's voice sounds at the centre of everything we do.
Statement by the Principals:
"All assessments, direct work and interventions are completed by Independent Social Workers, operating as Associates of Families West and are therefore bound by our standards of quality assurance. This provides our clients with a level of confidence in the services we provide and guarantees consistency in our output."
Families West Footprint
All of Families West' professional social care services, including direct work, consultation and training are available to Local Authorities, law firms and third sector bodies across the whole of South and West Wales, including;
Cities & towns
- Milford Haven
- Port Talbot
- Merthyr Tydfil
County & Unitary regions
- Glamorgan (mid, south, west)
- Rhondda Cynon Taff
Families West Testimonials
The following is just a small sample of the feedback that Families West has received (unedited, and anonymised for privacy).
- "The training was excellent"
- "I would definitely recommend the training"
- "All of the information provided was very informative and I can see how it would work in our line of work"
Practice Assessing (Social Work BSc & MSc Students):
- "She always highlighted different methods and theories, providing me with the opportunity to relate theory to practice"
- "During my observations, she always provided thorough feedback. The feedback were areas of practice I was doing well, as well as areas of improvement. I was provided with suggested reading courses to help me to improve"
- "My assessor has been a huge support to me throughout my placement. She has helped me to identify and improve in areas that I find challenging, as well as given me confidence to enter into the final year of my degree"
- "Supervisions were always booked well in advance with no changes. I could use the supervisions to my advantage always having an opportunity to choose the agenda. There was always ample time for supervision to discuss situations in depth, I never felt rushed. I could also contact her outside of organised supervisions if needed"
- "I liked how you would give negative or a learning feedback in a constructive way that did not make me feel rubbish and was given and shared in a way that almost empowered me with the learning and going forward. Also, positive feedback and thanks has been really nice to have and has meant a lot"
NQSW & Student Mentoring:
- "I have felt very supported and reassured throughout"
- "The support with staff has been fantastic too and your guidance throughout each stage and process linked to this. I have said it before, I feel far calmer and in control"
- "I really enjoyed the mentoring. I have never had that before and this was so helpful. It was good that I was made to answer and work those through myself rather than you just giving me the answer, again developing my confidence in I actually do have an understanding of what I need to do"